It’s not just aesthetics; neither does functionality; not even fashion. The energy saving of home automation is undeniable. The investment and the issue of amortization too, of course, but it is a more than profitable effort for cut the electric bill.
” Home automation controls and automates the intelligent management of the home “, explains CDEOM, the Spanish Association of Home Automation. ” It provides comfort, communication and safety, in addition to efficiently managing the use of energy, favoring water, electricity and fuel savings “.
Don’t think it’s just advertising (in the end what is the industry association going to say). Take a look at the home automation installation data in the world since 2017, and the forecasts for 2025. It seems that the savings are effective , and that is convincing, of course.
Home automation has been with us for many years, but it has not been until very recently that it has been placed as a interesting energy saving solution for homes. Devices are no longer so expensive, and above all: there are many options .
Now, if you have to find an origin for the phenomenon of energy saving with home automation, you have to look at the context: at the price increase, the climate crisis and technological progress . Who has not tried to reduce their consumption in some way in the last five years?
As you may have already noticed, most tips require effort. meanchange habits, give up some comfort and invest time. What’s happening? Well, with home automation you don’t need any of that .
According to IDAE, energy consumption continues to grow. Globally, in the next 35 years it will double and in just over half a century it will triple. How not to trust them smart plugs.
In this article we want to give you some general tips so that you can take advantage of the energy savings of home automation .
How to save electricity at home with home automation
It is difficult to give specific data, but IDAE estimates the energy savings of home automation in a home at around 30% of everything consumed . It will depend, of course, on many things (number of tenants,time slots,rate type), but the approximation is already interesting.
The potential of home automation to save energy at home is based on two main points. All the smart homes They work on these fronts:
- Economic : home automation gives you full and permanent control over consumption, which allows you to adapt it to rising prices.
- Ecological : reducing consumption also reduces CO2 emissions.
At the end of the day, we are talking about devices that automate certain consumption habits and that allow adjustments to both programming and intensity. It is as if you were on top of the thermostat or the plugs all day, but without being.
Home automation energy savings in lighting
In lighting alone, we already lose 7% of the annual budget dedicated to energy. Home automation will give you the possibility of act on the light bulbs to control that habitual waste that we practice at home.
- Efficient lighting : bulbs and devices that adapt their lighting level depending on the time of day, the area of the house or the number of people present. Hallway lights that turn on and off as you walk by are just one example.
- Switching on and off control : You can both program the switching on of the lights before you get home, and prevent them from staying on when you leave. The idea is that the bulbs only work when they are needed.
- Smart awnings, blinds and curtains : As you already know, sunlight is one of the main allies when it comes to saving electricity at home. These devices are configured to maximize the performance we get during the day.
Home automation energy savings in household appliances
IDAE tells us that we spend 16% of the annual investment in energy only on electrical appliances. Obviously, not all devices consume the same, but the sum of them has a significant impact on electricity bills.
The electricity savings here will come to you via automation and programming functions . In other words, at first glance you will still have a washing machine, a Fridge and a dishwasher, but in practice you will enjoy optimized services.
- Programming of electrical appliances : the most modern models have their own Operating Systems that allow the creation of a sequencing network for the entire home. From your mobile you can program all the appliances to take advantage of the time slots.
- Identification and reduction of standby: These lights are more difficult to control in electrical appliances, but they are there. It is known as “standby mode” and has a direct effect on consumption. Home automation allows you to tackle it completely.
- Disconnection of non-priority elements : appliances always offer complementary systems and functions that consume energy. Home automation cancels them to guarantee correct operation without compromising the electricity bill.
Home automation energy savings in air conditioning
What can we tell you that we haven’t already told you about it?heating energy consumption. This item is the most important within the bills of a home. During the winter months it can exceed 50% of all consumption .
Here home automation plays a decisive role in sustainability, especially during those months when we have the radiators on 6 hours a day. Do they sound familiar to you smart thermostats? It is the most visible face of this technological opportunity.
- Heating regulation : the latest generation thermostats have personalized programs and advanced functions to vary the temperature depending on the time of day, the cold outside or the number of people in the rooms.
- Automation of awnings, blinds and curtains : It is the same as we have already told you about electricity but applied to heating. During the central hours of the day, home automation will give you the possibility of maximizing the heat of the sun’s rays. This will delay the turning on of the devices.
- Wi- Fi heating : It is no longer just being able to turn off the heating at midnight when we are already sleeping, it is the fact of turning on the radiators remotely. The thermostat is synchronized with your mobile so you can acclimatize your home before you arrive, and thus avoid consumption peaks.
Home automation energy saving with monitoring
Leaving aside the programs and advanced functions, home automation is going to be a constant stream of data. These devices will tell you at all times how much electricity they are consuming, in what way and at what rate.
If you are not very knowledgeable in the world of kWh and the powers, this might seem like something very accessory. However, the reality is that in order to act on habits and save energy, it is essential to have exact information about what we are doing wrong (or right).
How else would you know if you have to cut the consumption of the refrigerator or television? We do not have infinite hours in the day, and knowing how to optimize efforts is essential so as not to get tired before time. This is especially relevant on the front of the self-consumption.
With home automation you can monitor your photovoltaic panelsor you small wind, to estimate amortization periods and take advantage of sustainability.
” The user will be able to know at any time how much energy is being injected into the network and will be able to obtain daily, weekly and monthly reports, which will even allow him to carry out the economic management of the income obtained through the sale of energy “, points out CEDOM .
How to choose the right home automation and save electricity
Ok, I want to build a smart home, where do I start? These types of ecosystems are classified by levels depending on their degree of automation . It is vital to know where you are or where you want to go before you buy and install anything.
- Home automation level 1 : installations with a minimum degree of devices and applications. In the table, at least 13 points must be added.
- Level 2 home automation : there is already a notable synchronization between different home appliances. A full automation of energy consumption is beginning to be perceived. It is reached with 30 points.
- Level 3 home automation : Highly technical and automated homes that depend entirely on devices for any operation. At least 45 points are required.
What points are we talking about? CEDOM has a form in the form of a table that allows us to know the level of home automation we have at home . Broadly speaking, the more applications installed, the higher the level on the scale.
- Access the home automation table.
If you have come this far, we understand that it is because you already have several smart plugs at home, that you are doing your first steps with Alexa and that you have signed up a couple of models of smart blinds. Perfect, the next step is the fee .